Sunday, July 8, 2012

Lily Mae Q&A!

Welcome back to The OMGlee Project! This week, I was fortunate enough to be able to conduct a Q&A session with the fiercest diva on The Glee Project, Lily Mae!


Q: I understand that you come from a musical family. How and when did you get involved with performing?
A: I have been singing all my life with my family. Everyone plays an instrument and sings. My parents love to tell the story that they thought I was tone deaf when I was little because we were singing in the car and I was WAY off... But I think I was just trying to out sing my sister haha.

Q: Who/what is your favorite singer/band?
A: I'm an oldies girl, so when I need to kick back and relax, it's definitely Bob Dylan. But Adele and Beyonce have both influenced me a lot.

Q: What song would you want your potential character to sing as your introduction into the show?
A: If I were to be on Glee, the first song I would wanna bust out and sing would be "Big Blonde and Beautiful" from Hairspray.

Q: If given the opportunity, who would you like to sing a duet with on Glee? What song?
A: I'd want to sing with Darren (Blaine). He knows his musical theatre and has a classy swag that I would love to play off of. What song? Oh god, I have no idea but a classic Broadway number for sure!


Q: Do you have any original music?
A: I have some original music but it's mostly for therapeutic purposes haha. Maybe one day I'll have the courage to release some!

Q: Do you plan on recording an album at all during your career?
A: An album isn't exactly what I see for myself. But can't knock it till I try it!

Q: Other than singing and performing, what are your hobbies?
A: I am a total beach bum. Any free second I have I'm at the beach or jumping in some body of water! And my friends and family are very important to me. I'm always surrounded by people!

Q: What acting or theatre experience do you have before The Glee Project?
A: I always loved musical theatre, but I really don't get into it until high school. But when I did I was literally doing a show, if not two shows, everyday. Between the multiple community theatres on Cape Cod an my high school, I was always booked! I've also been around a lot of movie sets because my parents are in the industry. But I have never been on the other side of the camera!


Q: What would you consider to be your strongest suit as a performer?
A: I think I am strongest on stage. In a song or not, any stage actor has to know how to command the stage and I just feel comfortable doing that.

Q: Out of thousands upon thousands of applicants, you were selected. Explain the audition and casting process.
A: I first put up a video online but I didn't feel like I was getting enough views to be noticed. So I decided to go to the open casting call. I made it through all the different rounds that day and finally got to Roberts room!!! I did my song and we chatted and he said "you look familiar... Have you auditioned for me before?" and I was like "no I just got out of high school" and we chatted more and he said, "I know you! I've seen your video!". Just that was enough for me. I left there that day with a "possible callback" sheet and then a day before Thanksgiving, I got an email to go out to LA for the callback week. And right when I got to the hotel, I met Ali Stroker and my room wasn't ready yet, and she let me curl my hair in her room. Haha and we've been best friends ever since. I remember Aylin and I hated each other. And now we're like sisters. That week was CRAZY! The top 28 got so close. We had an amazing time.

Q: What was it like singing for Ryan Murphy the first time during your call back?
A: Auditioning for the 3 mentors at first was the scariest. Because I still wasn't used to the cameras and I don't know, it was just really stressful. But auditioning for Ryan doesn't scare me as much. I remember waiting in the wings about to go on, and I just remember releasing all of the tension in my body and I was just ready. And I took that energy and released it eachtime I sang for him. And it might not look like it but Ryan and I always had a great time talking to each other. He put me at ease, and I think I did too.


Q: What was your initial reaction for being cast on The Glee Project?
A: When I got the Skype call from Robert, I was in complete shock. My family and my boyfriend at the time were all there and they had a bigger reaction than I did. Haha, on the casting special I didn't even react haha.

Q: What is your dream role on Glee?
A: At first I wanted to be this big confident sexy girl. And I wanted her to inspire other members of the New Directions, but after going through what I did on the show, I wanted everyone to see the moments of insecurity that I do feel. If I didn't, it wouldn't be authentic.

Q: Who on Glee inspires you the most?
A: Chris Colfer's character (Kurt) inspires me the most. He has faced so many real life situations and his character brings up a lot of things that I think our world should embrace.

Q: Dance-ability week was apparently rough for everyone. Do you have any prior dance experience?
A: Dance-ability was REALLY rough haha. Other than a few years of ballet when I was younger and my Zumba class, not really!


Q: You had some trouble with lip-syncing on the Vulnerability episode, what was going on that was making it so difficult for you?
A: I could sit here all day and make excuses for Vulnerability and Dance-ability, but what I took from those weeks was that I didn't get my job done properly. And some situations I don't remember things happening exactly how they were played out on screen.

Q: Your scene with Aylin in the “Everybody Hurts” video was INTENSE. How did it feel having to very realistically bully one of your best friends?
A: We were all prepared during the vulnerability shoot to have VERY intense scenes. Prior to knowing what scenes we would have, all of the contenders talked about what triggered each other to feel vulnerable or to make them upset. I expected to be Aylin's bully because of our "hostility" towards each other. Never did I think I would be physically attacking her. Everything we did was COMPLETELY planned and carried out safely! Just an FYI.

Q: After your last chance performance on Vulnerability, you really broke down for Ryan. What was going on in your head at that moment?
A: After my last chance performance in episode three, I was extremely emotional because of the stress I was under. I was frustrated that I didn't get a song that I could show Ryan that vulnerable side, and frustrated that he thought I was tough and as he said "take no prisoners" type of girl.... I CRY AT EVERYTHING! And that moment just happened to save me.


Q: Having to do a last chance performance MUST be nerve-wracking. Explain what it’s like having to sing a song you have never sung before?
A: Going into a last chance performance is... interesting, to say the least. I kind of went into auto pilot preparing because you just have to run the song SO many times... To the point where you never want to hear it again! You go into fighter mode because you never know if it is your last shot.

Q: After being in the bottom three two weeks in a row, were you relieved when you learned the theme of week four was Sexuality?
A: I was excited for it to be sexuality week because I knew I could kind of just sink in to my own skin and I knew I was comfortable with it.

Q: Did you consider the theme of Sexuality to be an advantage in any way?
A: I didn't think it was an advantage because you never know what the mentors are going to think. Everything each week was unexpected.

Q: Who would you like to see your potential Glee character “date” or “hook-up” with?
A: I would want my potential character to date a bad boy. Because I have always been into the bad boys, especially in high school. Someone like Puck :)

Q: Finally, who do you think your character would rival with?
A: I think I could rival Santana or Rachel. I like to think I have a little bit of both of them in me!


Huge shout out to Lily for doing this with me! Thanks, love! You know I love to love ya! To everyone else, thanks for reading, and make sure you follow me on twitter, and "Like" my Facebook page for updates and new post announcements! 

No comments:

Post a Comment